Thursday, October 09, 2003

Having revived this blog for Angel season 5, I decided I'd best do a quick check of the rest of the site. In the essay Sins of the Father, comparing the parallelism of Spike and Angel, I remarked "Although that suggests that at the end of season 7 we'll get the Spike spin-off in which he goes to San Francisco to start a detective agency... "
Well, I guess I was sort of close...

I've also reneged on my plan to stop writing fanfic and produced the inevitable post-Chosen story, Nineteen Days. I find it sort of amusing that they skipped the usual sense of a summer holiday, instead deliberately starting Angel season 5 less than a month after season 4 ended.

And in what amounts to a constructive moment, I've added a random quote generator to the front page.


The plan went something like this:

1. Chosen provided a surprising sense of closure for the audience whilst giving the characters totally open futures. Futures without their past, in fact, since everything fell into a bloody great big hole.
2. Despite knowing that Spike was coming back, I felt there had been a farewell to the character. Especially any wicked energy thoughts I may have had about him.
3. Going to see Ghost of the Robot in London was supposed to be the final nail in the -ahem- coffin for naughty Spike thoughts.
4. The above senses of closure would mean I no longer felt the desire to appropriate the series for my own meanings.

Obviously, such logic has failed me as one glimpse of Angel season 5 has broken all my careful 12 steps of recovery from Slayer-addiction and I'm as obsessed as ever.

No comments: